Friday, November 10, 2006

Do you have any news to share?

Off the top of my head, some member news I can share...

  • Jenn X and Peter should be SCUBA certified after their final dive tomorrow. I was envious until I heard about the really strong currents just off our coast here. Leave me to snorkel in Hawaii, please.
  • Watch out for Roslyn's upcoming "light lit" aka "chick lit" book club series starting every fourth Wednesday in January. The first book should be "He's Just Not That Into You" which should make for some interesting discussion! ;-) Roslyn's fairly new to the club, but already she's met her new best friend - Jen B.
  • Speaking of best friends reminds me I have to talk to Stephanie K and Shane M about our plans to host sometime early next year an "Amazing Race" in Burbank. This past week I thought it's something I'd :love: to do for our Vegas trip in January. But planning it would be crazy. I wonder if Vegas has some package deal we could get for an afternoon of racing fun & exploring the city?
  • Aileen H, our esteemed LA dim sum event coordinator, wrote to us last night from her new home Tucson where she's excited to bring some MyPC activities. Sounds from her email that Tucscon isn't exactly what she planned on - she's said there's more "meth heads" than LA because of the supply coming across the border. But it's still a company town with lots of folks (over 10,000 employees) from Raytheon.
  • Soon this first big blog entry is going to be like a "Jen free association" - because Raytheon reminds me of my favorite holiday story. Last December, I hosted a Salvadoran dinner at my favorite local spot - Gloria's, near Versailles on Venice Blvd. in Culver City. Twenty people joined us, we had two big tables, and I had met my "cosmic brother" Newton for the very first time over a big pitcher of sangria, which makes you love everybody at the table, heheh. Newton introduces me to his coworker Chris, and the three of us are chatting away over drinks when Aileen (the same Aileen as above) yells from the other table, "Hey, I've seen you in the elevator at work!" The guys laugh, because they recognize her and the friend she brought, another coworker from Raytheon. It's such a huge building, they had never known each others' names - and here there were, all a part of the same club - at the same event. What are the odds that 4 people out of 20 are all going to be coworkers who've never met?

No comments: